i think this is great

Theo E. Schlossnagle theos at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Sep 27 00:19:00 EST 2000

Michael Stone wrote:
> If the SSH way of doing things didn't have limitations, people wouldn't
> have to shoehorn anything.

I don't think that is right way of looking at things.  I think that SSH's "way
of doing things" lacks some robustness, but there are also real problem with
many PAM implementations (the module side).

The real problem that I faced with SecurID integration using PAM was not that
PAM had to be retrofitted to SSH.  The PAM module worked great, but like many
other PAM modules, for
 o complicated challenge response
 o next token required
 o new pin activation dialogue
 o change pin required dialogue
the PAM module assumed that it can carry on this dialogue via terminal.

SSH has not yet assigned a terminal at this stage (and frankly shouldn't).

You *could* assign a terminal for this dialogue (which most people with
SecurID do), but that fundamentally breaks things that expect a successful log
in once the password was accepted.  (e.g. scp, cvs, rsync, tar, cpio, etc.)

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E  2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F