-n vs batch_mode vs batch_flag

Tom Holroyd tomh at po.crl.go.jp
Fri Apr 6 21:11:11 EST 2001

How is -n supposed to work?  When you say ssh -n, it sets stdin_null_flag
but not batch mode.  When the client is choosing authmethods, there is a
batch_flag that is tested to see (presumably) if we are in batch mode or
perhaps if -n has been given.  But nothing sets it.  It looks like it's
supposed to point to options.batch_mode, but it's never even initialized!

Even if it did point to batch_mode, that's independent of -n, so when you
say -n it still (tries to) ask for a password.

	% ssh -n localhost &
	[1] 5220
	% tomh at localhost's password:
	[1]  + Suspended (tty input)         ssh -n localhost

It seems to me that -n (without -f) should mean "stdin doesn't exist, so
don't try any authmethods that ask for passwords from stdin", which would
imply that it should set batch_mode too, and batch_flag should point to
that. Or maybe batch_mode should be checked instead of batch_flag.

Or is this all supposed to be handled somehow by ssh-askpass (which is
currently only used by ssh-agent)?

Thanks,

Dr. Tom