sftp-server configuration error

Daniel Prevett dprevett at cs.unm.edu
Sat Apr 7 08:06:02 EST 2001

Hi,

I do tech support for Van Dyke Technologies, and I've run into an
interesting problem with the sftp-server under some redhat linux
boxes.  Two separate customers reported that they were having problems
using sftp with SecureFX and OpenSSH.  Upon further investigation, the
sshd_config file on the redhat box had an incorrect path for the
sftp-server in it.

The problem is that if the path to sftp-server is incorrect in the
sshd-config file, no error message is returned to the client, it is just
disconnected.  When the sftp subsystem is disabled, we get an error
message about the subsystem request failing, and I think this would be a
reasonable error to return in the case of the path in the sshd_config file
being wrong as well.

This occurs with the sftp client that ships with OpenSSH as well.

I can't remember what the path was that the redhat boxes have, but it
ocurred with redhat 7.0, was probably an OpenSSH 2.1.1 install that
came with the redhat dist that was updated with an rpm.  The path ended
with "openssh/openssh/libexec/sftp-server" or something similar.  Taking
out the extraneous openssh in the path fixed the problem with the sftp
subsystem not starting.

     -Daniel