[patch] Re: -n vs batch_mode vs batch_flag

Tom Holroyd tomh at po.crl.go.jp
Mon Apr 9 18:55:33 EST 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> ssh does not read from stdin, but from the tty.

Yes, I misspoke, it's reading the passphrase from the tty, not stdin.
I was thinking -n mean "no input", not "no input from stdin".

> why don't you use -f ?

Because I don't want it to ask for a passphrase.  I want to have two
authentication methods available: password and publickey.  Then I want
to select a menu item from my GUI that does
	ssh -n host command &
and I want it to be in batch mode, so the password method will not be
tried, and it'll go by pubkey if it can.  So what I *really* want is
this:
	ssh -n -o 'batchmode yes' host command &
BUT I thought it would be nice if -n did this for me automatically,
just as a convenience, since it seems much clearer to me.  Maybe it's
just me.  :-)