"X11Forwarding yes" causes "error: socket: Protocol not supported"

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 01:24:25 EST 2001

graham_guttocks at yahoo.co.nz said:
> Now openssh is disconnecting my sessions immediately after
> authentication and login with the following error messages:

> "error: socket: Protocol not supported" "Disconnecting: Command
> terminated on signal 11."

Most likely that you have an entry in your /etc/hosts that maps your
machine name to 127.0.0.1
X appears to special case localhost connections, and use unix sockets
rather than inet ones.  Openssh cannot X forward from unix sockets.

You should see 127.0.0.1 in the authenticated list if you do xauth -n
list

Change your hosts entry so that it uses the ip address of a real
interface for this.  If your interfaces are dynamic and so you can't
easily get an ip address, you might find you can safely set the hosts
file value to 127.0.0.2 (really - it seems to work OK!).

	Nigel.