Problem with latest OpenSSH - 2.5.2p2

Brent L. Bates blbates at vigyan.com
Thu Apr 12 22:46:20 EST 2001

     This is my second attempt at reporting this problem.  I sent my first
message to `openssh at openssh.com' and was told I needed to send it to this
address.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

     We have been using OpenSSH version 2.3.0p1 for a couple of months now
with out problems.  The same goes for several previous versions we have used
over the last year.  However, I have just installed version 2.5.2p2 and it is
giving me some problems.  If it were not for the latest security bulletins
strongly suggesting we upgrade, I would reinstall the 2.3.0p1 version.
     I am running on a SGI Indigo2 R10000 running IRIX64 6.5.11f.  I
downloaded the source, compiled, and installed the latest version just like I
have for all previous versions.  We are using OpenSSL version 0.9.6,
downloaded October 9, 2000.
     The problem I am seeing is that every once and a while I get the
following error in the current OpenSSH connected window:

        `read: Interrupted function call'

     After this point, I can't type or do anything else in this `xwsh' window.
I have to kill the entire window, start a new window, and start a new ssh
connection all over again.  This is completely repeatable.  I get this error
if I resize the window quickly several times.  I have X Windows forwarding on.
     Below is the line I use to configure OpenSSH:

configure --with-cflags="-n32 -mips4 -O3 -r10000
-TARG:processor=r10000:platform=ip28 -I/usr/local/include"
--with-ldflags="-n32 -mips4 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-s,-x
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib" --prefix=/usr/local --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-prngd-socket=/var/adm/entropy --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/lib
--with-catman=man --mandir=/usr/share/man/local

     Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I did make two changes from
previous compilations/installs.  I've switched from using EGD for random
numbers to PRNGD and I've added the TCP-Wrappers library.  The switch to PRNGD
doesn't seem to be a problem as I'm also running it on another system with the
2.3.0p1 version of OpenSSH and I see no problems there.  At this point, I've
only seen the problem for `ssh/slogin' from this system to others.  Incoming
connections don't seem to have any problems, so I'm guessing the problem is
with `ssh/slogin'.
     I recently downloaded the latest version of OpenSSL, 0.9.6a-beta3, to see
if that would help things any.  However, that has done nothing to effect the
problem.
     If you have any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks.