man pages screwed

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Apr 17 03:03:34 EST 2001

> : Anyway, if you'd like to take a stab at this nroff test, please feel
> : free to do so.  If it can be done in a reliable way, I'm all for it.
>
> Okay, here's what i've found from the range of systems i have access to:
>
>   platform              man formatter   -mdoc works (status works)[*]
>   --------              -------------   ------------------------------
>   sparc-sun-solaris2.5: /usr/bin/nroff  no  (yes)
>   parisc-hp-hpux10.20:  /usr/bin/nroff  no  (yes)
>   mips-sgi-irix6.2:     /usr/bin/awf[+] no  (yes)
>   rs6000-ibm-aix4.1.x:  /usr/bin/nroff  no  (yes)
>   mips-dec-ultrix4.5:   /usr/bin/nroff  no  (yes)
>   alpha-dec-osf3.2:     /usr/bin/nroff  no  (yes)
>   i386-redhat-linux:    /usr/bin/nroff  yes (yes)
>   ________
>   [*] I.e., nroff returns non-zero if -mdoc doesn't work.
>   [+] Yes, really.
>
> Bearing in mind that i haven't looked at the *really* weird (SunOS-4.x,
> NeXTStep/OpenStep, SCO BrokenServer or UnixWare) or esoteric (DG/UX,
> CrayOS, Reliant, LynxOS, Darwin) platforms yet, nor have i checked
> Cygwin, it looks as if the following is a good first cut:
>
>   # Allow user to set NROFF if desired.
>   if [ -z "${NROFF}" ]; then
>     for i in nroff awf; do
>       if [ -x /usr/bin/${i} ]; then
>         NROFF=/usr/bin/${i}
>         break
>       fi
>     done
>   fi
>   if [ -z "${NROFF}" ]; then
>     MANTYPE=cat
>   elif ${NROFF} -mdoc ssh.1 >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>     MANTYPE=doc
>   elif ${NROFF} -man ssh.1 >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>     MANTYPE=man
>   else
>     MANTYPE=cat
>   fi
>
> This isn't much different from what i proposed earlier, except that the
> system nroff (or, in the case of IRIX, awf) is used instead of the
> first nroff on the PATH, and the user can set NROFF in the environment
> if desired.
>
> Ben, could you check whether this would work on {NeXT,Open}Step?

nroff -mdoc returns '2' on {NeXT,Open}Step.

May I suggest wrapping the above code fragment in 'if [ -z "$MANTYPE" ];
then; ..; fi'.

That way we can still have  --with-mantype={..}  and on a case-by-case
requirement for broken systems.

Mark,
	As for other hard-coded features.  If there is places where it can
be made more robusts, feel free to let us know.  A lot of
configure.in/Makefile.in stuff appeared because it was the best solution
at the time.

- Ben