Latest CVS: small portability issues

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Apr 18 01:56:18 EST 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just run a test build of the latest CVS on HP-UX 10.20 and found two
> issues, both related to the new mdoc2man.pl support:
> - In Makefile.in, line 122, the construction
>   $(MANPAGES): %.out: %
>   is used. HP's "make" command does not understand this syntax (gmake does).

This is part of the new rewrite of to provide manpages in multiple
formats.  Do you have a non-gnu suggestion?  I don't have an HP/UX near
me.

> - In configure, the first "perl" command in the PATH seems to be found.
>   On HP-UX this is an ancient Perl-4, that cannot handle mdoc2man.pl.
>   I would recommend to try to detect a "perl5" in PATH first and only then
>   fall back to "perl" in the PATH.

I'm unconfortable with guessing at which is the perl we want.  It's been
over two years since perl4 has been abandoned.  And I've not met very many
correctly written perl applications that won't work in perl 5.

Maybe someone in perl4 should look at making it perl5/perl4 compatable
instead.

- Ben