Portable openssh build problems.

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Apr 19 03:51:13 EST 2001

[Moved to openssh port from openssh at openbsd.org for broader comments]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Mike Crowl wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I've been building openssh for various versions of solaris and noticed
> that I'm having to jump through hoops to get it done because the build
> process for openssh is pretty sloppy.  Specifically there are several
> option flags in the configure script which do not work at all.
>
> --includedir
> --libdir
>
> (do not place the correct locations of zlib into the make when I
> specify the include directory and lib directory under my installed zlib)

Hmm..Can't comment on either one of theses because I never use them.  Even
under Solaris, I tend to install common libraries in /usr/local.

> --with-pid-dir
>
> (does not do anything...but is mentioned in the install page on
> website.  I tried this, but it ignores my input entirely.  Also it does
> not place the pid file in a uniform location across different OS
> versions of solaris.  I.E. if /var/run exists, then pid goes there...if
> not then it goes into the dir with the local configs.  It should go to a
> uniform place if you are not going to have this option work correctly.)

Thank you very much for pointing this out.  I've corrected it.  Somewhere
in the Makefile.in clean up it was lost.  If you add to your Makefile.in:

PATHS=
	[..] \
	-D_PATH_SSH_PIDDIR=\"$(piddir)\"

Then re-run your ./configure it should compile with the correct path
for the PID directory.

> make install - always creates a host key....assumes that you always
> want to do so.  This is not a good idea when you have just
> cross-compiled for multiple architectures and need to install the
> binaries into you apps tree for later dist to various OS/server types.

make install tests to see if you have keys.  If you don't it will
automaticly generate them.  This is the correct behavior.  There was
a long talk about this long time ago, and the agreement was that this was
the correct behavior.

I'm not sure if it's worth adding a 'make install-nokeys' for those who
don't wish to generate keys at install time.

> Also the location of tcpd.h and libwrap.a cannot be fed in via the
> configure script.  The build blindly assumes they are installed in
> /usr/include and /usr/lib.

/usr/include, /usr/local/include /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib  are currently
the default search path for the installer (for Solaris).

--with-cppflags="/path/to/wrapperinclude/" \
--with-ldflags="/path/to/wrapperlib/"

should work fine to add a new Inlcude and Library paths.

> I know I'm not offering anything in the way of a fix here, but maybe
> noting this stuff as a bug will allow someone to have justification to
> work on it.
>
> I'm a little surprised that I'm having this much trouble.  I run
> openssh on my three linux servers at home and had no problems getting it
> built and running.

- Ben