Converting keys from commercial ssh

King, Brian brian.king at xwave.com
Fri Apr 20 01:44:04 EST 2001

I'm not sure if this is useful to anyone else, but around here people are
insisting we use key-ed authentication with windows clients and Unix servers
over SSH protocol version 2.

I couldn't find a free windows client that would meet those requirements.
The closest was PuTTY, but it would only use password authentication with
SSH2. In the end, this means we will probably have to go with OpenSSH on the
servers, and ssh.com's client on the windows workstations. The problem that
appears then is the differing public key file formats between the commercial
SSH and OpenSSH.

I've quickly put together a short script that should convert a public key
(generated by the commercial windows client and pushed to a Unix server) to
be used with OpenSSH's sshd.  It appears to work fine with the limited
testing I've done. If anyone decides to make improvements, I would
appreciate receiving them.

Brian King

 <<ssh-convkeys2.sh>>