Why we can't login ? (fwd)

Jarno Huuskonen Jarno.Huuskonen at uku.fi
Sat Apr 21 05:50:17 EST 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, Joshua Stein wrote:
> Markus Friedl wrote:
> > hints?
>
> > We uninstalled the default SSH  packages openssh-2.1.1p4-1,
> > openssh-server-2.1.1p4-1, and openssh-clients-2.1.1p4-1 of RedHat 7.0
> > and installed openssh-2.5.2p2 (config, make, install, not from RPM's).
>
> A shot in the dark:
>
> The RPM uninstallation probably removed /etc/pam.d/sshd and was not
> created/setup correctly when OpenSSH was reinstalled from the source.

One more possible problem: openssh-2.5.2p2 compiled w/out pam/md5 support
(--with-pam/--with-md5-passwords).

(Quite a few people have compiled 2.5.x without pam support (wasn't pam
enabled by default earlier?). Perhaps readme/install should have a warning
that you'll probably need either md5-passwords or pam (on Linux anyway) ?)

-Jarno