relaxing access rights verifications

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sun Apr 22 15:39:49 EST 2001

[..]

> So here is a patch to permit :
> . file readable by group if owned by root
> . directories writeable by group if owned by root
>
> I added two functions temporarily_use_gid and restore_gid to permit to
> access the authorized_keys2 file. The gid used is the primary group of the
> user.

You'll have to maintain this yourself.  The topic of GID readable keys
has come up quite a bit over the last month or so and the final word
seems to be 'No'.

I have no real stand on it because I don't need such functinality, but
I think having such a feature native may encourage wrong solutions to be
deployed. <shrug>

> This patch fixes only the cases I met.
>
> Here is an up to date chroot patch for 2.5.2p2 too.

It would be nicer of the chroot patch was updated in relationship to the
current snapshots/cvs release (http://www.openssh.com/portable.html).

After this release is done (and if I can get time), I'd like to look at a
different approach to chrooting and sftp.  After thinking about it, I
think the better solution is to do chroot in the sftp-server software and
not in ssh.  Mainly because I don't feel one should have Users+1 copies of
sftp-server floating around.  It's a managing nightmare.

If it is accepted by OpenBSD folks is a different story.  <shrug>  But
if not and if there is enough interest I may provide it in contrib/.

- Ben