Call for testing for coming 2.9 release.

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Apr 25 19:37:57 EST 2001

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:01:14PM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> If we can get people to test their platforms against the last snapshot/cvs
> tree I'd be greatful. (http://www.openssh.com/portable.html)

> Also, take a moment to see what manpage type ./configure decided for your
> system and if it's 'cat' please let us know.

FYI: for HP-UX (10.20), "man" format is recognized.

I have been running some short tests by now and the new version seems to
work quite well. Some points:
* The "sleep 5 &" test still let's the connection hang. I only have a
  small amount of trouble with it. Unfortunately, some startup scripts
  (like the one for mysql) have the habit to not properly daemonize
  and thus exiting after doing some maintenance doesn't work.
  (This was/is also true for 2.5.2p2, but since I do not restart mysql
  every day, I won't note for a long time.)
* As somebody else already pointed out, "hostbased" authentication should
  be first, because there is no reason to bother for a public key
  passphrase or password, when another option will help anyway.
  (Markus' comment about not being tested enough applies, so the final
  decision for the default value is up to the developpers team.)
  What is definitely missing is a listing of the possible options in
  the "PreferredAuthentications" syntax in ssh.1 and ssh_config.
  A slogin -v gives the correct idea to use "hostbased", "publickey",
  and "password" as keywords, but as the nameing scheme is not consistent
  "HostbasedAuthentication yes" vs "PreferredAuthentications hostbased..."
  an example line in ssh_config would probably save some time to dig
  into the source :-)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/