Call for testing for coming 2.9 release.

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 18:53:38 EST 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 06:07:23PM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > the following patches are necessary to build the latest OpenSSH from
> > CVS on Cygwin.
> >
> > The patch in `Makefile.in' is needed to be able to build in another dir
> > than the sourcedir.
> >
> > Cygwin lacks `setgroups' and the header file `arpa/nameser.h'.
> >
> > I couldn't check that it runs due to a eminent lack of time. I will
> > try to check it 'til tomorrow.
> >

> Sorry, I'm just getting time to go through my backlog.  Cygwin has
> getgroups() but not setgroups()?  That seems odd to me.

No, that's not odd, that's Windows (uhm, ok, that's odd). Each process
has attached a so called `access token' which contains the information
about the user (owner, primary group, supplementary groups, special
user rights, discretionary access control list, ...).

Obviously you can _read_ the information from that access token.

But only a few changes to an existing access token are allowed, as
setting the owner and the primary group to user/group values already
in the token or setting and resetting special user rights. There's
no such functionality as changing the content of the supplementary
group list. That list is automatically determined by the Windows
logon procedure. The only functionality on the supplementary group
list is enabling/disabling groups which are already members in that
list. Sure, that could be treated as a partial implementation of
setgroups. However, a real setgroups functionality would only be
fake.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen