restricted shell

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Mon Apr 30 03:43:19 EST 2001

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 06:03:04PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:44:32PM -0400, Gyepi SAM wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 06:24:48PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > > it's easier if the sftp-server does chroot.

> if sshd chroots, you need to copy the (static?) sftp-server
> to every home-dir. this is no fun on solaris, just
> look at the mess ssh-chrootmgr(1) creates.

Precisely!  Which is why I am proposing a static shell which incorporates
the functionality of sftp-server and scp so that the shell chroots to $HOME
and we do not have to copy ANY static binaries into the chrooted environment.
This will even allow the paranoid admin to mount the $HOME filesystem noexec.

I do not believe that the chrooting should be done by sshd (because the user
shell then has to exist inside the chrooted filesystem) or sftp-server (OK,
but messy since we cannot allow such users to also use scp if they wish) or
scp (converse of sftp-server case).  Therefore, the chrooting should be done
by my restricted shell.

-Gyepi
--
What usually happens in the educational process is that the faculties are
dulled,overloaded, stuffed and paralyzed so that by the time most people