Unable to login via ssh when UseLogin is yes and dns not working.

Roel van Meer rolek at linvision.com
Thu Aug 2 01:05:02 EST 2001

Aaron Bush wrote:

> > I have a problem with openssh-2.9p1-1 on an updated RedHat 6.2
> > system.
> > When i specify UseLogin yes in the sshd_config file, i am unable to
> > login if the ip of the client host cannot be resolved.
>
> Do you get an error message?  Or does it just hang there?
> I have seen this before w/o using ssh to login to a box from a machine
> that is not in DNS.  After a timeout period (minutes maybe, not sure
> exactly how long) the login will succeed.

Yes, the timeout is there sometimes. After the timeout, the login
prompt appears. After specifying (the correct) password, i get
loggind in and immediatly logged out again.

The timeout occurs when i connect from a machine, and dns is set up
but cannot find the machine.
The timeout does not occur when i disable dns (removing or emptying
/etc/resolv.conf)

If you need debug output, just let me know.

Regards,

rolek

--
1A First Alternative rolek at alt001.com    www.alt001.com