openssh-2.9p2 Config - undefined references

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Thu Aug 9 23:29:06 EST 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:04:30AM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> [,,]
> > > I use it with openssl-engine-0.9.6b and openssl-0.9.6b installed
> > > to /opt/openssl and /usr/local/ssl (ln -s). When running the
> > > make test option of openssl, it reports no problems (which kind
> > > of indicates the problem is not with openssl I hope)
> >
> > The use of the openssl-engine modules implies loading shared libraries
> > at runtime. To provide this functionality, you have to link against
> > libdl by supplying "-ldl" after linking against -lcrypto.
> >    LIBS="-ldl" ./configure --other-options
> >

> Is there any way we can detect openssl-engine independant of openssl and
> add -ldl in?  I think more people are going to start to use openssl-engine
> as more crypto cards are supported.

OpenSSL as of 0.9.7 will have engine support built in, there won't be any
special -engine release.

Typically the problem should not occur, as the shared libs should be built
with "-ldl" itself, so that they already include this dependency. 0.9.7
will have the shared library building reworked and included by default.
Up to 0.9.6x it is considered "experimental" and -- as we see here --
may break on occasion.

Coming back to the original question: I don't have an idea on how to test
for this problem. It probably won't hurt to link against "-ldl"
unconditionally. (On HP-UX for 32bit executables this is -ldld, not
sure about other platforms...)

Another option would be to make this an FAQ, as 0.9.7 should solve the
problem by itself and for 0.9.6x-engine users it is a question of the
(experimental) shared library building not including -ldl...

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/