PAM and getpwnam [ struct passwd *getpwnam(const char * name) ]

erik at math.uu.se erik at math.uu.se
Thu Aug 16 06:40:37 EST 2001

Hello!

I use a PAM-module (pam_ncp_auth from ncpfs) for authentication against a
netware server.

pam_ncp_auth can create local UNIX user accounts from information in NDS,
and it works perfect with login, gdm and telnet. But not with openssh (2.5
and 2.9).

It works perfect if the user already is in /etc/passwd, but the first time
he logs on he doesn't exist there. In that case openssh call the function
getpwnam to see if the user exist at all, and if he doesn't the sshd
refuse the user to login.

Aaarg, I have tried one whole day to make some simple patch, but I am to
stupid. Hence, I want pam_ncp_auth to add the user's line in /etc/passwd
before openssh make the call to getpwnam. Perhaps that is the prefered
order for other PAM-modules also?

Please, any suggestions...

regards

/Erik S