Idletimeout patch

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Tue Aug 21 00:19:19 EST 2001

uOn Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > but how large is the benefit/line ratio for this patch?
>
> Also, what's the benefit when compared to e.g. tcsh 'autologout' variable?

As I said before, not all ssh sessions have a tty and not all ssh sessions
actually even have a shell. In our environment we are tunneling imap
traffic through ssh with a command like
'ssh mail-server "exec /etc/rimapd"' where there is no shell left after
the exec.  Also tcsh:s autologout does not work, if the user is running
any program in the session instead of a plain shell (which users most
of the time do, since nobody is interested in plain shell access).

I am well aware that many if not most programs which are run remotely
over ssh can be configured to do autologout/idletimeout themselves, but I
need a solution which works for all possible programs our users could
be using at once.

I am also aware that telnet and rlogin do not have this functionality. But
since we do have the far superior ssh, we have disabled those services
and I don't need to implement idletimeout for them.

- Jani