OpenSSH 2.9p2 / SSH3 vulnerability?

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Aug 22 01:32:55 EST 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Ault, James R (CRD) wrote:

> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Is OpenSSH 2.9p2 (or any other version of OpenSSH) vulnerable to the same problem as SSH3.0.0?
> (described here:
>  http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/737451 )

I looked around and tried it out.. and I could not find anything that
resembled that security hole in OpenSSH.   I'm sure Markus and other did
a more indepth check.

> 2) There is a "SECURID" patch in the contrib section since 2.5.2p2.  I am using it, but applying this
> patch to each new version is growing more difficult as time goes on.  Would you consider merging this
> function into the core of openssh? (with a configure flag and everything)?  I would certainly
> appreciate it...

There is?  I don't see it in the -current version of the portable.

I don't believe there is any plans on adding Secure ID.  I no longer
remember the reasons.. <shrug>

But doing a simple grep for "SecureID"  in my archives I see comments like

"Integrating SecureID is additional complexity which has to be
maintained,"

.. So I think it's a safe bet it will not. =)

Version 3.0 will ship with Crytocard support (currently not tested well
outside of OpenBSD platform).

> 3) when is the next version of OpenSSH due to come out?  It seems that a new one arrives only moments
> after I finish my "make install" on 4-5 different platforms.. :-)

Can't say for sure.=) When ever I do I get corrected by Theo and Markus,
but a release is 'Coming'...  I know Markus would like a release before
Sept.

Unless Damien has any quarms I was going to call for people to
start testing in the next day or so (if I can catch my breath from other
projects).

- Ben