-q option doesn't do what it says in the man page?

Matthew Vernon matthew at debian.org
Thu Aug 23 10:20:04 EST 2001

Hi,

Man page:
     -q      Quiet mode.  Causes all warning and diagnostic messages
to be suppressed.  Only fatal errors are displayed.

But in log.h:
typedef enum {
        SYSLOG_LEVEL_QUIET,
        SYSLOG_LEVEL_FATAL,

so in log.c:

void
do_log(LogLevel level, const char *fmt, va_list args)
{
	char msgbuf[MSGBUFSIZ];
	char fmtbuf[MSGBUFSIZ];
	char *txt = NULL;
	int pri = LOG_INFO;

	if (level > log_level)
		return;

This means that even fatal errors will be ignored if the -q flag is
passed. The simple fix would appear to be to reverse the ordering in
the enum. Any reason why this should not be done?

Thanks,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."