bug in scp (OpenSSH)

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Aug 29 19:16:35 EST 2001

Hi,

using both OpenSSH_2.5.1p1 (compiled myself) and openssh-2.9p1-23.i386.rpm
from ftp.suse.com 7.2_update I get the following "leak" :

using `scp' I tried to copy a file from a local floppy disk to a
remote system, but the disk had an read error and scp didn't get
any real data from floppy:

        turtle koenig > scp /media/floppy/file.c
        harald:file.c
        koenig at harald's password:
        file.c            0% |                             |            0       00:01
==>        /media/floppy/file.c: Input/output error
        turtle koenig > ssh -V
        OpenSSH_2.5.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090600f

note the "Input/output error"!

unlike with normal `cp', the copied file size wasn't 0 bytes but the regular
size of the original file (7988 bytes) and the remote file was filled
with "binary trash".

BAD: this "binary trash" contained 8 copies of the passwd entry line for my
account including the encrypted password (we're using NIS) and
internal phone number.

I don't like to copy my (crypted) password to remote sites, do you ???

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\