PAM, keyboard interactive, pam-1 at ssh.com, interoperability

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Dec 1 23:34:59 EST 2001

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:06:50AM +1100, carl at bl.echidna.id.au wrote:
[..]
> fame.  Where would we be if Eric Allman didn't make sendmail
> interact better with M$'s broken SMTP AUTH?  If Apache
> insisted on only supporting "proper" HTTP?  If Mozilla only parsed
> 100% legal HTML (if anyone can define that anyway?). If
> your resolver library rejected A records with _'s in them?

All of these are good examples NOT to include more broken code into
additional packages.

Make decent standards, and then make programs adhere to it.

If vendors then show up not coding according to standards, their
software will not work and their users will complain until the vendor
eventually fixes the problem (which may be different for Microsoft,
but ssh.com is not MS, and for their users, there are enough interesting
alternatives if they refuse to fix ssh.com).

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *train near Osnabrueck*
... mobile phone: +49 177 2160221 ... or mail me:  gert at greenie.muc.de