OpenSSH compile problem on Solaris 8 & 9

David Butts dbutts at maddog.storability.com
Thu Dec 6 09:04:09 EST 2001

Hello-

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:54:21PM -0600, Kim Scarborough wrote:
> Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this... the OpenSSH Mailing Lists
> page is a little ambiguous.
>
> I've tried to compile OpenSSH 3.0.1p1 & 3.0.2p1 on two different Solaris
> platforms, one running Solaris 8 and the other Solaris 9 beta. It
> configures fine, but the make dies:

> Anything I'm missing? I'm running 64-bit gcc 3.0.1. OpenSSH 2.9 and below
> compile fine. Let me know if there's more information I should include, or
> if there's a more appropriate mailing list.

I would try it with a different compiler.  The GCC folks have explicitly
revoked 64-bit ultrasparc support in 3.0.x

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html

Also, FWIW, last time I checked, the bignum routines in openssl (which
are written in assembly) only use sparcv8+, since a fair number of 64
bit registers are available even if the kernel only guarantees 32 bits.
Which is all a long-winded way of saying that a 32-bit version of gcc
creating sparcv8plus binaries should give you all the 64-bit goodness
that sparcv9 would in the crypto functions.

The comments in crypto/bn/asm/sparcv8plus.S in the openssl distribution
give more details about it.

David