hang on exit bug under Linux

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Dec 11 09:18:53 EST 2001

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:09:20PM -0800, Rachit Siamwalla wrote:
> Called foreverSleep on your remote host:
>
> rsh remotehost "foreverSleep &"
>
> Should and does hang (on Linux and Solaris at least).
>
> HOWEVER,
>
> rsh remotehost
> # foreverSleep &
> # exit
>
> does NOT hang.

This is what I have already suggested:

 - if we have a pty, and the direct child goes away "just close the
   session", and accept data loss.   Data loss can only come from
   background processes, who are *background* processes and shouldn't
   send stuff anyway - if they do, they deserve a SIGPIPE or worse.

 - if we have no pty, do what we do now, and block if needed.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de