-c none option

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Dec 11 09:19:19 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Ben!
>
> M$ distributes a special version of their Remote Desktop Cient (RDP,
> formerly TSC) without encryption just for the French market.  Some
> French oriented distributor could do the same for OpenSSH.

Not to be cold heart, but my reply:

	"Great, that French company can add in -c none to all their
versions, and strip out all encryption.  It's BSD licensed so they can do
what they will with it."

Besides, last I checked OpenSSH was not money driven.  I doubt
Theo is making a few million a month off of OpenSSH.  If he is I
think he needs to cut the rest of the crew in for a few bread crums
(unless working for him is our payment <grin>).

> If I was managing any equipment in France I would think auth only
> SSH was a big step up from telnet.
>
> What France had done with their crypto regs is wrong, but they will
> not change just because of us, so we must adapt as best we can.

The point being that by just having -c none does not make 'ssh' magicly
legal in france.

That is kinda like telling a cop in the US.. "I just bought the bong for
decoration!  Honest!  I don't even smoke that stuff!" =)  It would go over
like a lead brick.

- Ben