hang on exit bug under Linux

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Tue Dec 11 09:28:16 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:28:35 +0100
> From: Markus Friedl <markus at openbsd.org>
> To: Dan Kaminsky <dan at doxpara.com>
> Cc: Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com>, michael at bizsystems.com,
>      openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: Re: hang on exit bug under Linux
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:50:06AM -0800, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> > Look: ssh user at host "command" needs to never, ever hang.
>
> wrong.
>
> it needs to hang.
>
> it needs to hang until it can be sure that 'command' does not need
> any input.
>
> it needs to hang until it can be sure that 'command' does not produce
> any output.
>
> it needs to hang until 'command' exits because sshd needs to tell
> the exit status from 'command' to ssh.
>
> 	$ ssh -n host 'exec > /dev/null 2>&1; sleep 3; exit 5'
> 	$ echo $?
>
> and so on.

I think he means that "ssh ..." should never hang after the command on the
server side has exited.  Certainly, I think we all expect the behaviour
you describe above.

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key