pubkey auth with NFS home on AIX

Mark D. Roth roth+openssh at feep.net
Wed Dec 12 08:29:13 EST 2001

On Tue Dec 11 15:14 2001 -0500, Dan Astoorian wrote:
> You say the problem was introduced between 2.9 and 2.9.9: the realpath()
> behaviour in auth.c is relatively new.  Do you know whether AIX provides
> a realpath() function, or whether OpenSSH is using
> openbsd-compat/realpath.c?

AIX does indeed have realpath(), and the configure script is detecting
it normally.

> If AIX's realpath() is being used, can you try compiling with the
> openbsd-compat/ version and see if it makes a difference?  If so, this
> may be a workaround; otherwise, perhaps you can at least find out
> exactly what operation is causing the failure.

Good idea.  I tried this, and it works fine!  The problem must be
being caused by something in the AIX version.

Now the question is what to do about it.  It's hard to test for this
problem, since not every machine has an NFS-mounted filesystem, and
the configure script will probably not be run as root anyway.  I
really hate that ``case "$host" in'' block in configure.ac, but I
don't see any alternative...  Anyone see something I'm missing?

--
Mark D. Roth <roth at feep.net>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/