RFE: ssh-askpass program configurable

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 09:54:50 EST 2001

Circa 2001-Dec-12 17:07:30 +0000 dixit Edward Avis:

: I note that ssh-askpass-gnome was moved into the contrib/ directory of
: portable OpenSSH and the configure option for it
: (--with-gnome-askpass) was removed.
:
: I can understand not wanting a configure option for one particular
: askpass program, but it would be useful to have a general replacement,
: as in
:
: % ./configure --with-askpass-program=ssh-askpass-gnome

Not sure what RFE means in the subject.

You can specify the default askpass program ssh tries to use at compile
time:

  make ASKPASS_PROGRAM=/path/to/your/askpass/program

You can also specify the askpass program at runtime via the environment
variable SSH_ASKPASS.

contrib/gnome-ssh-askpass.c contains compilation instructions in a
comment near the top of the file if you'd like to build it.

If you'd rather build and install a different askpass program, there's
a pointer to x11-ssh-askpass in the INSTALL file.

I don't understand the problem....

--
jim knoble | jmknoble at pobox.com   | http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)