hang on exit bug under Linux

Peter Stuge stuge at cdy.org
Thu Dec 13 14:16:12 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:04:27PM +1100, carl at bl.echidna.id.au wrote:

> > > ssh firewall
> > > firewall$ fwstop; fwstart
> > > exit
> > >
> > > It wouldn't hang in that instance?
> >
> > The ssh client process would linger, but in the background.  It would be the
> > equivalent of doing ^Z and then typing bg with the current OpenSSH version.
> >
> > You would be back at the prompt where you typed "ssh firewall"..
>
> Does that solve the problem?  Wouldn't I then end up with, over
> time, a stack of these ssh client sessions?

No.  Try it.  When you (eventually) close the (say, xterm) session the ssh
client will be killed.  And the sshd on the other side will too.  Or at
least that's what happens here with my 2.9.9p2.  Left is my perl script.
And data is lost.  But it's not at the fault of OpenSSH, but of me.

> I guess I could kill -KILL them? :)

You could do that too.  Or just SIGTERM, that works too.

//Peter

--
irc: CareBear\
irl: Peter Stuge