hang on exit bug under Linux

Peter Stuge stuge at cdy.org
Thu Dec 13 14:28:31 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:06:46PM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> > The ssh client process would linger, but in the background.  It would be the
> > equivalent of doing ^Z and then typing bg with the current OpenSSH version.
> >
> > You would be back at the prompt where you typed "ssh firewall"..
> >

> UGH No.
>
> It would be bad enough the server side sshd hangs and wastes resources.
> It would be even worse if both did.

If data loss isn't going to be the price to pay for bad code, something else
has to be.  Besides, the client (and server) will only linger until the
parent xterm exits..

A strong point is that this shoves the problem off to someone else, leaving
all of us to do something else.  We shouldn't really be dealing with it in
the first place.  It's a broken world and we can't easily fix anything on
the other side of our doorstep..

//Peter

--
irc: CareBear\