ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Tue Dec 18 03:57:06 EST 2001

When I run this on Sol8 with 2.9.9p2 it doesn't even connect to the remote
host...

polycut:~> ssh ldap1 echo bla | echo bla
bla
polycut:~> polycut:~>

If I type "jobs" afterwards...

polycut:~> ssh ldap1 echo bla | echo bla
bla
polycut:~> polycut:~> jobs
[1]    Hangup                        ssh ldap1 echo bla |
polycut:~>

That doesn't seem like a desirable result... :-(

	Ed

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:59:19 -0600 (CST)
> From: mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
> To: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: Re: ssh host echo bla | echo bla
>

> FYI.. That is under Solaris it does that..  OpenBSD returns.
>
> Interesting
>
> - Ben
>
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
>

> > [mouring at newton ~]$echo blah | echo blah
> > blah
> >
> > I would expect no less from OpenSSH myself.  2.9.9 (which was the machine
> > I had right handly) hangs indefinately after printing 'blah'.
> >
> > - Ben
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:
> >
> > > what should ssh do for:
> > > 	$ ssh host echo bla | echo bla
> > > 	$ ssh -1 host echo bla | echo bla
> > > 	$ ssh -2 host echo bla | echo bla
> > >
> > > -m

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key