ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Dec 18 05:58:37 EST 2001

Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:50:31PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > what should ssh do for:
> >       $ ssh host echo bla | echo bla
> >       $ ssh -1 host echo bla | echo bla
> >       $ ssh -2 host echo bla | echo bla
> >

> cf
>
>         % ssh -1 host /bin/echo | true

Hey, `true' is a builtin in most shells too! ;)

 $ ssh -1 localhost /bin/echo | /bin/echo dummy
 dummy
 Write failed flushing stdout buffer.
 write stdout: Broken pipe
 $ _

 $ ssh -2 localhost /bin/echo | /bin/echo dummy
 dummy
 $ _

Note: in the last case, there is NO attempt to connect to remote
host.  First one seems to be correct to me (and only this -- all
previous examples shows ill behaviour).

Aha -- I see now why this strange question... ;)

BTW, here, on linux with bash-2.05.1, both builtins and external
commands works the same way.

Regards,
  Michael.