ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Wed Dec 19 08:16:55 EST 2001

Carson Gaspar wrote:
[]
> It _seems_ like people are saying that since stdout has been closed, ssh
> shouldn't bother connecting. As my above example shows, stderr _is_ still
> connected, and can still receive useful data. Please be _very_ careful
> before you mess with this.

Ops -- this is another point of view and a direction.  For me, that was
obvious that ssh should NOT depend on it's environment (i.e. are filedescr.
opened or not), but it should ALWAYS do what it was asked for, and print
any error message as appropriate.  I.e. for me, the -2 behaviour was
incorrect, not -1 one.

Well, what to do if we can't write error message is totally different
story (well, ignoring errors while printing error messages seems to be
a good way).  But ssh should do what it has been asked to, or attempt to
do that -- it should NEVER try to "optimize" it's work by e.g. eliminating
connection attempt if e.g. stdout is closed.  That to say -- I think that
ssh should "reinvent" the -1 behaviour (correct from my view) to -2 variant
(i.e. do what it was asked for and print any error message), but NOT the
reverse.

Regards,
 Michael.