Problems with aged passwords (Red Hat 7.x, OpenSSH 2.9.x-3.0.2p1)

Gunnar.Bluth at drkw.com Gunnar.Bluth at drkw.com
Thu Dec 20 03:46:26 EST 2001

We're experiencing weird problems here:

The Solaris guys have user-packages, so we had to do this too for the Linux
boxes (7.0, 7.1).
Since some of the accounts get "easy" passwords set at install time, they are
expired at once:
/usr/bin/chage -m 7 -M 84 -W 14 <user>

Now, at login, the user is prompted:

You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now
Changing password for <user>
(current) UNIX password:xxxxxxxx
New UNIX password:xxxxxxx          (and yes, it definitly is a good one ;-) )
BAD PASSWORD: is too simple
New UNIX password:
and so on...

2.9.9p2 even showed what was typed in plain text, 3.x.x doesn't (at least...).
/var/log/messages just says:

[...] sshd(pam_unix)[20078]: expired password for user f998628 (root enforced)

but no clues why pam_cracklib fails (or whatever happens..).

This does nor appear on the machines (yet) using 2.5.2p2.

We need the enhanced SSH2-handling, thus we really hope anybody has a
solution to this...

Thx in advance,

Nick