OpenSSH-sparc-3.0.2p1.pkg: /usr/local conflicting file

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri Dec 21 04:20:25 EST 2001

> From: Loomis, Rip
[..]
> You have a non-standard installation method.  The Solaris
> pkgadd doesn't do a perfect job of handling such things,
> and the only way that the OpenSSH package could handle all
> such possible cases would be to have an ugly preinstall
> script that checked for things.  Ben's new-and-improved
> packaging routines are cleaner than my old-and-ugly
> ones in the older OpenSSH portable versions, and work
> better for most cases--and I don't think it's likely that
> scripts to work around situations like this will be added.

I'm not against such scripts in a preinstall.  We need to include
a preinstall sooner or later to handle things a bit cleaner.  I'd
like to see a fully relocable binary with the fact Solaris 9 now
supports /dev/random.  Just neither of these things are high on
my priority, nor on my "Ugh I can't stand this any more.." list.

Which is the main reason why I wrote my version.  I could not
stand being forced to maintain the script and ensure it worked for
/usr/local and /opt (since I use the latter).

PLEASE, any Solaris experts.  Feel free to submit updates to the solaris
package script.  I'll only bitch and yell if you attempt to destory the
fake root feature of it (which is the main reason for me doing it, since
no one was updating it =).

- Ben