OpenSSH on PalmOS possible?

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Feb 1 07:36:53 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Daniel Brandt wrote:

> A thought has been bugging me for a month or so, but I don't know where to
> look for the answer. Would it be possible to port the OpenSSH ssh client to
> PalmOS and other handheld OS'es like Symbian (EPOC) or PocketPC?

There is a free (software) SSH implementation for PalmOS available at
http://www.ai/~iang/TGssh/ I think it is only protocol 1.

Porting OpenSSH would be a moderately difficult task because it is
pretty closely tied to POSIX and Berkeley sockets, which (IIRC) is
quite far from the Palm API.

> Is the processor on PDA's fast enough? Would many libraries have to be
> ported aswell? I know that PalmOS and EPOC has an IP stack implemented..

Memory may be an issue, but cipher speed probably wouldn't. The slow
serial speeds and the much slower speed of entering characers by graffiti
will give the CPU plenty of time to catch up.

-d