Detection of identical file doesn't work for localhost:

Christian Kurz shorty at getuid.de
Sun Feb 4 04:26:59 EST 2001

On 01-01-30 Markus Friedl wrote:
> > I had to notice that scp is able to detect if a file is copied to itself
> > if you use "scp foo /path/to/foo" or "scp foo .". If you type in "scp
> > foo localhost:/path/to/foo" it will still overwrite the old version of
> > foo. Is it possible to change this behaviour of scp?

> how could 'scp' tell that it's really the identical file?

I have no idea and and that's why I asked here, if it would be possible
to detect localhost and then invoke the other method for doing a
file-copy. But as Damien pointed out, there far to many things to test
for, so I also agree that openssh shouldn't be changed.

Ciao
     Christian
--
When it is incorrect, it is, at least *authoritatively* incorrect.
-- Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy