OpenSSH 2.4?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Feb 4 21:51:02 EST 2001

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:57:30PM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> > > Just tried openssh_cvs "up-to-date" on SCO 3.2v4.2, and "test -S" is still
> > > there... (configure redone by "autoconf" after "cvs update -d").
>
> No one has given me an acceptable replace for 'test -S'... So I'm not
> personally inclined to muck with it.=)

There is no portable way to do an "is this a socket?" test - there are
quite a number of systems that do not have unix sockets, and thus no way
to do "test -S".

One *could* do something like

  if test -f $socket
  then
      if [ "`ls -l $socket | cut -c1`" = "s" ] ; then
	   echo "socket found"
      fi
  fi

but that's ugly as hell (and I'm sure it's not portable to some other
system).

Hmmm.  One could run a test program in C to see "is this a socket, and
is there egd running on it", that would be even better...

> > To followup on myself:
> >
> >  - openbsd-compat/strtok.c includes "bsd-strtok.h" but the file is
> >    called "strtok.h" -> renaming to bsd-strtok.h makes it compile
> >    (but breaks openbsd-compat.h, which includes "strtok.h").
> >

> The last two  bsd-* in the openbsd-compat/ should be resolved.  ( I just
> submitted it)

Thanks.

> >  - configure fails to detect HAVE_CLOCK_T, which leads to compiler
> >    warnings - harmless, but looks scary :-)
>
> Did this fail before?

I can't say for sure - last time I tried this on SCO 3.0, I got lots of
warnings as well, but didn't really care to sort out which ones are
"configure" related and which ones are just SCO weirdness.

> I've not seen HAVE_CLOCK_T issues on any of my machine for a while.

Hmm.

[..]
> >  - compilation of "log.c" with "gcc -g -O2" (gcc 2.7.2.3) breaks.  I can't
> >    see any obvious reason for this, though:
> >
> > gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Dftruncate=chsize -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I. -I./openbsd-compat -I. -DETCDIR=\"/etc\" -D_PATH_SSH_PROGRAM=\"/usr/local/bin/ssh\" -D_PATH_SSH_ASKPASS_DEFAULT=\"/usr/local/libexec/ssh-askpass\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c log.c
> > In file included from defines.h:404,
> >                  from config.h:681,
> >                  from includes.h:22,
> >                  from log.c:38:
> > log.c: In function `log_facility_number':
> > log.c:227: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcasecmp'
> > /usr/tmp/cca13925.s:1007: FATAL:C_EFCN symbol out of scope
> > gmake: *** [log.o] Error 1
> >
> >     compiling without "-g" makes log.c compile just fine.  So maybe this
> >     is something that just cannot be fixed without me upgrading my gcc :-)
> >
> Don't know anything about that.  Sorry. Which GCC release?

2.7.2.3.  But actually it's the assembler choking on something GCC
produced.

Maybe this is just something for the FAQ - "if you see an error like this
on SCO, compile the offending module without '-g'".

[..]
> > - linking scp bombs with "unreferenced utimes()" - this has been discussed
> >   before - what's the status of this?
> >
> Hmm... utimes() was resolved a while ago.
>
> 20010115
>  - (bal) utimes() support via utime() interface on machine that lack
> utimes().
>
> openbsd-compat/bsd-misc.c:int utimes(char *filename, struct timeval *tvp)
>
> Are you sure you regenerated your 'configure'?   Do a './configure | grep
> utimes' and see wh

Interesting enough, it *was* compiled into libopenbsd-compat.a, at least
it shows up in "nm":

$ nm openbsd-compat/libopenbsd-compat.a |grep utimes
utimes              |      68|extern|            int( )|    34|     |.text

Nevertheless it's not found when linking - this is weird.

AH!!  From an old run, I had an "libopenbsd-compat.a" lying around in the
main build directory, and the link stage is done with "-L.  -Lopenbsd-compat",
so it was linking the old and stale one.  Removed that, utimes() issue
solved, scp links fine.

"make clean" didn't remove the old library, 'cause the Makefile was already
upgraded, and forgot everything about ./libopenbsd-compat.a ...

So I should have done

   make clean
   cvs update -d
   autoheader