next build

Jacques Distler distler at golem.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:31:02 EST 2001

At 4:42 AM -0600 2/4/01, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

>>  *** openbsd-compat/bsd-nextstep.h.orig	Sun Feb  4 00:16:16 2001
>>  --- openbsd-compat/bsd-nextstep.h	Sun Feb  4 00:19:09 2001
>>  ***************
>>  *** 48,52 ****
>>  --- 48,56 ----
>>    speed_t cfgetispeed(const struct termios *t);
>>    int cfsetospeed(struct termios *t, int speed);
>>    int cfsetispeed(struct termios *t, int speed);
>>  +
>>  + /* LIMITS */
>>  + #define NGROUPS_MAX     16
>>  +
>
>Hey, Steve.. since you put together the group access patch to OpenBSD.  Do
>you recomend a better place or a better value for NGROUPS_MAX?  It's not
>defined within the NeXTStep headers.  Otherwise I'd perfer to put it in
>defines.h as a fall back incase NGROUPS_MAX is not found.
>
>- Ben

To be more precise, NGROUPS_MAX *is* defined (as above) in the
NeXTStep headers if _POSIX_SOURCE is defined, but undefined otherwise.

>The daemon still runs, but does no logging except for the mysterious
>
>      Feb  4 00:23:45 golem sshd[17861]: error: Hm, dispatch protocol
>          error: type 50 plen 516
>      Feb  4 00:23:45 golem sshd[17861]: error: Hm, dispatch protocol
>          error: type 50 plen 550
>errors, which get logged to /usr/adm/messages, but not LOCAL0, where
>they are supposed to go.

Please submit this logging issue to the openssh mailinglist.   Last time I
looked at NeXT's syslogd it was massively brain damaged and I could not
get any code to correctly log events to it.  However others may have a
better idea on what to look at or try.

OK. here goes . . .

Somewhere between the 20010119 and the 20010126 snapshots, the
NeXTStep build developed an issue.

I have sshd configured to log to LOCAL0. With the 20010119 snapshot
and earlier, it works fine. With later builds, the daemon seems to
function OK, but *nothing* gets logged to LOCAL0. Instead, I get the
following error messages logged to /usr/adm/mesages every time a
client connects to the daemon:

      Feb  4 00:23:45 golem sshd[17861]: error: Hm, dispatch protocol
          error: type 50 plen 516
      Feb  4 00:23:45 golem sshd[17861]: error: Hm, dispatch protocol
          error: type 50 plen 550

I have not had any of Ben's troubles with NeXT's syslogd. In fact, up
to and including the 20010119 build, logging has worked fine.

I realize there's a week's worth of changes between 20010119 and
20010126. If there is strong motivation, I could try to narrow down
exactly when things broke. But some ideas as to what might be going
on would be helpful.

Jacques