argv[0] => host feature considered harmful

Jos Backus josb at cncdsl.com
Wed Feb 7 07:17:40 EST 2001

OpenSSH still has this feature, SSH-1.2.27 no longer has it.  Admittedly it
can be useful sometimes, even though I'd prefer this to be done using a
trivial shell wrapper, which would be the UNIX way of doing things.

Not being able to call OpenSSH's ssh by another name (say ``ssh1'') can get in
the way when having to maintain two versions of ssh in parallel because the
``ssh -> ssh1'' symlink trick doesn't work (ssh gives a ``bad hostname: ssh1''
error message).

How do others feel about at least conditionalizing this feature? I can come up
with a patch if needed.

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        "Modularity is not a hack."
                          _/  _/   _/                -- D. J. Bernstein