Patch for unformatted manpages

Mark D. Roth roth+openssh at feep.net
Thu Feb 8 02:31:14 EST 2001

On Wed Feb 07 17:32 2001 +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> Looks very nice! Can people who have had problems with manpages try
> the perl script out and report back?

They're welcome to do so, but there is one caveat: I only added support
for the particular -mdoc macros which are actually used in the OpenSSH
manpages, so it won't work right on manpages which use other macros.

Ideally, of course, the script should be a general-purpose converter.
I don't have time right now to extend it to that point myself, but
I'd be happy to accept patches or bug reports from people as they
encounter problems.  Also, if there is any interest in the script as a
general-purpose tool, I can distribute it seperately (in which case
we should work out a way to keep the copy in the OpenSSH CVS tree
updated with the master version).

> Is there a license on the perl script? It needs one.

Good point.  Please insert this text at the top of the script:

###
###  Copyright (c) 2001 University of Illinois Board of Trustees
###  Copyright (c) 2001 Mark D. Roth
###  All rights reserved.
###
###  Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
###  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
###  are met:
###  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
###     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
###  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
###     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
###     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
###  3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
###     must display the following acknowledgement:
###     This product includes software developed by the University of
###     Illinois at Urbana, and their contributors.
###  4. The University nor the names of their
###     contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
###     this software without specific prior written permission.
###
###  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE TRUSTEES AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
###  ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
###  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
###  ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TRUSTEES OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
###  FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
###  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
###  OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
###  HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
###  LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
###  OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
###  SUCH DAMAGE.
###

> I would prefer not to remove the preformatted pages altogether, but
> instead alter --with-catman to take either 'mandoc', 'man' or 'cat'
> arguments. Some similar configure.in magic would be required. I
> can do this if required.

IMHO, the default behavior should be to install the converted unformatted
man pages, since that's the expected action on most platforms.  Other than
that, please feel free to muck with the autoconf setup as you see fit.

Thanks for the feedback.  Please let me know if you have any further
questions or problems.

--
Mark D. Roth <roth at feep.net>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/