sftp client

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Fri Feb 9 14:10:42 EST 2001

>> > info: 1165518179 = 0x45786563 = "Exec" !!!!
>>
>> This is what I have been trying to tell you, note that the above will
>> also break r{sh,exec} based programs and sftp.
>>
>> Your shell initialisation should not print *anything* if your shell is
>> not interactive.
>>
>I have to agree here.  This goes for any shell.. csh, tcsh, bash, ksh,
>ksh93, etc..
>
>I really wish we could drop the requirement for the user's shell for
>subsystem and require the admin to build a sane {PREFIX}/etc/enviroment
>file (and let users override things in their ~/.ssh/enviroment.  Because
>the subsystems can't really use the shell for anything useful.  It just
>sucks off the enviroment variables.

Can you please go and voice that point of view on the ietf mailing list
(if you haven't already done so) for SSH in reference to subsystems in
general and the file-xfer draft in particular.  In case you don't know
the list is at ietf-ssh at clinet.fi.

I am of the same opnion as I believe it is an implmenation issue but
some people were trying to say it should be advice in the draft that
subsystems do it.  Personally I'm dead against it, normal ftp doesn't
do it so why should sftp.

Ta

--
Darren J Moffat