OpenSSH (CVS) performance observations

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Tue Feb 13 02:15:11 EST 2001

Hi!

I have experimented a bit with the latest OpenSSH from the CVS archive.
I could realize some connections succesfully, but I experienced performance
problem during the connection phase.
It seems, that the client needs quite some computer time just after
debug: Got SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP.
By inserting test-printouts, I verifyed that the dh_gen_key(dh); call
seems to take that long. On a HP C180 it takes around 8 seconds.
OpenSSH is built without optimization but as far as I could see, the
time is spent in the OpenSSL library (built with maximum optimization).
There are other places in which 3-4 seconds are spent each.

Can somebody verify these observations?
Setup is the default setting.

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/