Handling of failed connect()s when ssh-agent is busy

Jos Backus josb at cncdsl.com
Tue Feb 13 05:19:55 EST 2001

    Hallo Gert,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:36:38AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 09:28:58PM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> [..]
> > We fixed SSH-1.2.27 by wrapping this part of the code in a while-loop (looping
> > if errno == ECONNREFUSED), and this appears to work well, solving our
> > immediate problem.
>
> Hmmm.  What happens if the agent is not running at all, but the socket
> exists (leftover, for example, after the agent has died for whatever
> reason)?

I thought about that too. Isn't there a way to distinguish between these
cases? We clearly only want to retry when we have reason to believe that the
agent is indeed still listening.

> For me this sounds like your change would create an infinite loop - no good.

Agreed.

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        "Modularity is not a hack."
                          _/  _/   _/                -- D. J. Bernstein