OpenSSH does not read /etc/environment ?

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at curl.com
Wed Feb 14 03:43:46 EST 2001

We are trying to upgrade ourselves from SSH 1.2.26 to OpenSSH 2.3.0p1.

For years, we have used /etc/environment to set system-wide variables
for SSH logins (whether interactive and not).  This works with SSH
1.2.26 on all platforms.  But a quick browse of the OpenSSH sources
suggests that it only reads /etc/environment on AIX.

Is this difference in behavior a conscious design decision, or is it
just an artifact of when the code base was forked?  Would you accept
patches to make OpenSSH read /etc/environment on all platforms?

Thanks!

 - Pat