SSH trademarks and the OpenSSH product name

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Feb 14 14:42:34 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Tatu Ylonen wrote:

> Friends,

[..]
> The confusion is made even worse by the fact that OpenSSH is also a
> derivative of my original SSH Secure Shell product, and it still looks
> very much like my product (without my approval for any of it, by the
> way).  The old SSH1 protocol and implementation are known to have
[..]

No disrespect, but I must point out a few things.

1) SSH Protocol 1 exists because people use it.  There is a larger SSH v1
user base then v2 at this point.  To just 'drop' a protocol without
building a migration path is in extremely poor taste (it's something I
expect from Microsoft or Intel).

2) The OpenSSH/OSSH source base came from a version of SSH that was under
pure BSD licensing.  And thus does not require your blessing nor
"approval" to use.  That is the whole point behind BSD licensing.

> Also, please understand that I have nothing against independent
> implementations of the SSH Secure Shell protocols.  I started and
> fully support the IETF SECSH working group in its standardization
> efforts, and we have offered certain licenses to use the SSH mark to
> refer to the protocol and to indicate that a product complies with the
> standard.  Anyone can implement the IETF SECSH working group standard
> without requiring any special licenses from us.  It is the use of the
> "SSH" and "Secure Shell" trademarks in product names or in otherwise
> confusing manner that we wish to prevent.

I suggest you go through your IEFT draft and change all 'SSH' references
to 'SECSH'.  Because as it stands it stats that 'SSH' is the protocol
name.  Which is confusing and also weakens your position.

[..]
> Therefore, I am asking you to please choose another name for the
> OpenSSH product and stop using the SSH mark in your product name and
> in otherwise confusing manner.

I urge you to consider what you are currently doing.  This is currently
still contained.  This will be a very bad PR move if this continues, and
it would not suprise me if this causes a backlash of hate from the
Internet Community as a whole.

- Ben