SSH trademarks and the OpenSSH product name

Sten stend+openssh at sten.org
Thu Feb 15 12:39:37 EST 2001

TY> To protect the SSH trademark I (or SSH Communications Security
TY> Corp, to be more accurate) registered the SSH mark in the United
TY> States and European Union in 1996 (others pending).  We also have
TY> a registration pending on the Secure Shell mark.

Mr Ylonen, you do not have a registered trademark in the United States
for the term 'SSH'.  You have a registered trademark for a specific
stylized form of the letters 'SSH' (registration number 2141991).
There is a "typed drawing" mark registered for SSH, but that belongs
to Fairchild Industries.  As for your obtaining a "typed drawing"
registered mark, you may wish to refer to Section 2 paragraph e of the
Trademark Act (15 USC 1052), which indicates that a mark may be denied
if the mark is merely descriptive of the product.  If you wish to
claim that that the term "secure shell" and its abbreviation 'ssh' are
not descriptive of your product, please feel free to do so.

--
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time
to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?  Let them take