Minor request...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Feb 19 04:56:06 EST 2001

Hey all,

	Was just on another mailing list clearing up some confusion about
an error message that OpenSSH (and maybe others) often generates.

	The error message is this:

> Feb 17 22:32:23 swshost sshd[2472]: Did not receive ident string from 210.104.181.1.

	People seem to commonly assume that the "ident string" is referring
to identd/authd queries and not the client identification string.  Since
this is common with port scanning and telnet probes and is associated with
security issues, this causes a few discussions and wild goose chases.

	Could we possibly have that reworded a bit to be a little less
confusing?  Maybe something like this:

	Did not receive ssh client identification string from...

	Or maybe add a remark about possible port probing or something.

	Would this cause any heartburn elsewhere (log monitors, sentries,
etc...) or any compatibility problems?  Would appear to me to be largely
cosmetic (and, yes, low priority), but low risk and easy to change.

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/