2.5.1p1 Could not load host key

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Tue Feb 20 00:36:18 EST 2001

OpenSSH 2.5.1p1 was compiled on two different Linux machines, both with
glibc 2.2, libz-1.1.3 and openssl-0.9.6.  Both had been running 2.3.0p1
successfully.  On both, the new sshd failed:
 # ./sshd -d -d -d -D
 debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.5.1p1
 debug1: load_private_key_autodetect: type 0 RSA1
 Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
RSA sessions worked.  Generating a new DSA key pair made no difference.

Configure options:
 --prefix=/usr --with-tcp-wrappers --with-md5-passwords

OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/bin
               System binaries: /usr/sbin
           Configuration files: /usr/etc
               Askpass program: /usr/libexec/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
      Random number collection: Device (/dev/urandom)
                Manpage format: man
                   PAM support: no
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: yes
          MD5 password support: yes
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes

              Host: i686-pc-linux-gnu
          Compiler: gcc
    Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall
Preprocessor flags:
      Linker flags:
         Libraries: -lcrypt -lwrap -lz -lnsl  -lutil  -lcrypto

Did I do something wrong or is this a bug?  I'm not on the list, so
please cc me with any replies.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |